Stick w/ MH or got with T5 overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick w/ MH or got with T5 overdrive?

My tank is 8 feet long, 3 feet width, and 32 inches deep.

Currently, I have 4x250W PFO/MH and 1x400W PFO/MH running. I have heard great things about T5s and was considering changing my lighting system to T5s. I wanted to go with T5s because people say they're brighter, burns cooler, and shows off SPS much better, and they're cheaper to run. I do have SPS and clams.

I'm wondering if anyone have experience with large/deep tanks running T5s. I will be redoing my system in the new few weeks and want to change the lights out if it's the right move.

Any opinions? Suggestions on bulbs, ballasts, where to get them, etc.. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Gosh, Danny, I'm never used the T5's but IIRC, Iwan recommends them in reefs up to 26" ht. in order to reach the corals at the bottom. Others may also plz. contribute their opinions/experiences with these. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Seemed fine all the way down on my 180 (6x2x2)--that was back in the day.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

How about this?
        http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...mid=LT-AB75160

Do you think it'll be enough for my tank? If I can use it, it'll cut my waltage usage in half!

Comment

That AB/AM T5 hood sucks. No individual reflectors. Poor performance. The hoods I've seen that would work well are the SLS Teklight, the ATI, the Aquatinic.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Danny, not sure if they will save you any electricty or not.. I was told the 660 running 4 54 watt T5 ran at over 4 amps per hr like a 400 watt halide... Actually Grimreefer on RC tested this out. Horace on here knows a lot about T5 as he uses them and followed grims threads to a T.. Maybe he will chim in also..

Jeff

Comment

Are these better?

http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-TEK-LIGHT-Flu...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I'll need two of these. Does anyone have these in their setup right now? What is the performance like? What is the exact length of the fixture? I have exactly 96 inches to play with.

Comment

It is important that you decide how many bulbs you need and then choose the lighting.
                You need approximately a bulb/2.5 inches. With that you'll have a perfect ligth situation for stone corals.
                So, this makes 15 bulbs at your 3 feet (width).
                I recommend you 54 watts bulbs at the length of 8 feet.
                So you need 30 x54Watt for the perfect T5 illumination.
                The main fault of many dissatisfied T5 users is an inadequate number of tubes.
                Keep this formula in mind: 1 bulb every 2.5 inches (width) And you will become an enthusiastic T5 user as I am.

Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Iwan I also wanted to ask about t5s? My tank is 36l x 24w x 24h, how many do you think I need. Iam running dual 250 14k but it seems to be alot of light for some of my sps and I dont get the even lighting as the T5 gives. right now I have 2 t5ho DnD superblue+ what else would I need? Thanks in advance.
                  Mario

Comment

T5's provide beautiful light. BUT one reason I would never use them exclusively is that IMO a tank just looks so much better with glitter lines, and you won't have a single glitter line with T5 bulbs.
                    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mchava
                      Iwan I also wanted to ask about t5s? My tank is 36l x 24w x 24h, how many do you think I need. Iam running dual 250 14k but it seems to be alot of light for some of my sps and I dont get the even lighting as the T5 gives. right now I have 2 t5ho DnD superblue+ what else would I need? Thanks in advance.
                      Mario
                      For your tank size 8-10x 39watt would be perfect. I would take 2-4 ATI Blueplus and 6 ATI Aquablue special.

Regards,

Iwan
                      Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Iwan:

Can you make a recomendation for me as well? 24 high, 48 wide, 24 deep.

Thanks,

Jamie
                        120 Gallon Oceanic; 2 IceCap 660 w 8 Geiseman T5; GroTech Zeo Rx; MTC Ca Rx; 250 Ext BK; 8 Drops Bak / Food; 2ml Start 2.

Comment

Originally posted by jwaltman21
                          Iwan:

Can you make a recomendation for me as well? 24 high, 48 wide, 24 deep.

Thanks,

Jamie
                          Of course Jamie
                          I recomend your tank size 8-10x 54watt. I would take 2-4x 54W ATI Blueplus and 6x54W ATI Aquablue special .

Regards,

Iwan
                          Cheers,

Iwan Lässer

www.hausriff.ch

Comment

Yes,i see this similarly like Timon.
                            Only the T5 seems a little bit artificial for me.

Neverthless nice tank from Iwan.

reg.
                            Ste.
                            Steffen

Comment

Originally posted by Iwan
                              Of course Jamie
                              I recomend your tank size 8-10x 54watt. I would take 2-4x 54W ATI Blueplus and 6x54W ATI Aquablue special .

Regards,

Iwan
                              Thanks Iwan!

Jamie
                              120 Gallon Oceanic; 2 IceCap 660 w 8 Geiseman T5; GroTech Zeo Rx; MTC Ca Rx; 250 Ext BK; 8 Drops Bak / Food; 2ml Start 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X