Lumenarc (mini) vs RO III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumenarc (mini) vs RO III

Can anyone give me a run down on the difference and advantage of each(Lumenarc III, Lumenarc Mini, RO III)? I only have experience with RO III, but I sure do hear about the Lumenarc's quite a bit.

This would be for a 24x24x24 SPS only Reef. I wanted to run 250w bulbs over it.

So since you guys know you stuff, please, enlighten me

The lumenarc III (19x19 big one) is the much ballyhooed impressive SE reflector. Noone has objective numbers on the performance of the mini, but logically the performance will be less and the price is the same. The mini may not be any better than the ROI or ROII (for SE) which are cheaper. For a 2x2 reef, you can either go LAIII with a 400w and get a bit more performance/light or go ROIII and the M80 ballast. Don't go PFO mini b/c that throws a more rectangular pattern vs the ROIII.
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

So does the LIII support DE or SE?

In your opinion, which would you put over your tank?

Comment

I think the LIII is SE only...
        --Matt

Comment

Why don't you get a Growzilla
          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Originally posted by moonpod
            Noone has objective numbers on the performance of the mini, but logically the performance will be less and the price is the same. The mini may not be any better than the ROI or ROII (for SE) which are cheaper.
            Well i have abit of disagreement to it...
            cause you can't compare directly the LA3 with the mini since LA3 are running 400W and mini only 250W. Without the reflector the 400W is already alot brighter then the 250W MH. Thus that explain what make ppls misbelieve that the mini performance are poorer.

In fact both the normal and the mini give the same performace, the only different is the coverage only. Cause the normal are much bigger in size thus u can cover bigger area compare to mini.

As for mini is not any better than the ROI or ROII, well I totally disagree, the ROI or ROII cant even compare to the LA3 mini, the mini out bet both the RO and give of far brighter output.
            ---------------------------
            180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Eyes can lie Kiego. All i'm saying is that there are no objective numbers published on the mini.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

yes I totally agree... since there is no objective numbers published on the mini...
                But giving the logic, i see not different in performace...

hope someone will come out with a test and give us the detail.
                ---------------------------
                180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

so LIII Mini > ROIII

Only thing I don't like so much is the size of those reflectors...they are HUGE

Comment

The RO1 is a great ref for a decent price also... HUGE adv over any spider type... The Lumenarcs are sweet for sure but damn they are huge.. I have an enclosed canopy so they were never an option for me...

Comment

You can run 400 or 250 or 1000 or 175 in the LAIII. In the mini it's a bit tight, but I'm sure you can shoehorn a 400 into there--in fact I think that's what ol' yeller tang (aka Roland) did over his new tank. A 1000 I doubt it to I really don't think it'll fit. Those bulbs are huge. Sanjay's numbers on the LAIII were with a 400w bulb, and yes a 250w is smaller so presumably a LAIII mini will work "better" with a 250w than say a 400w. The thing is who knows objectively? I don't. A given reflector is designed to work "best" with a given bulb dimension. Smaller and larger don't work as well.

Sean LAIII with 400w> (not that much) ROIII, BUT definitely better spread ie if you are lighting more than a 2x2 area. LAIII mini with a 250 I dunno performance relative to a ROIII. Probably definitely still better spread. I would guess better peak light under the ROIII. With a 400w in the LAIII mini I dunno.

ggjeff also brings up that the ROI with the enclosed fixture works better than "spider" type reflectors by far. It's another option for SE users. It is smaller than a LAIII mini and captures the light that comes out the end that a "regular" reflector (ROII, PFO optimal parallel) loses.

Also, Sean what ballasts do you already have?
                      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                      BK400ext
                      MRC kalkmixer
                      IKS

Comment

I don't have a ballast, I'm looking at a whole new setup.

Either the ROIII w/ 250w 14k Pheonix and Blueline ballast or ...I don't know..

Comment

Just get the ROIII combo and let me know if it's good or not - that way I can decided if I want to do the same or something else...
                          --Matt

Comment

Yeah I think I'm going to go that route, I don't really want that HUGE pendant over my cube in my apartment. It'll be pretty distracting.

I just signed 2 new contracts so I should have my bills paid off and my cube underway soon.

Granted, now I have to build a nice stand and I hate that part...

Comment

how much you have to work with on the stand, I have some ideas for the next one i have to build - maybe it will work for you?
                              --Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X