Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 10K SE MH Bulbs Are You Using?

Hi All,

Well think we are now looking at 10k bulbs for our new tank setup.

We are looking for a crisp white color that will make the color of the fish and colors really jump out and grab the viewer (would Aquaconnect 14k do this)?

We are running standard magnetic ballasts (Cool Touch) which is our holdup on the Aquaconnect bulbs so now are thinking 10k. We will have 2 VHO tubes on the tank to provide the blue tint.

What does everyone think I have heard mixed feelings on the 10K XMs....are they white or yellow? Have heard they change over time as well.

Thanks!

I'm using 10k ushio 250 watt with an icecap electronic ballast crip white light the bulb produces so far so good with my MH light everything in the tank is doing great.

Nestor

Comment

Can you not use the magnetic ballasts with the aquaconnect bulbs? That is what I have and I was going to buy an aquaconnect bulb next week.
      You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

BLV is slightly bluer than other 10KK bulbs, also consider CV Reeflux.
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

i have a 250w SE XM. i just fired it so no comments for now. (although there is very little yellow, IMO).

im using standard mag ballast, BTW

Comment

im using xm se 250 and i think it is ok with atentics but too yellow when ran alone...

when bulb replacement time comes i will try something else
            Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

I'm using the 10K Ushios, and 20K EVC all on Blue line e-ballasts. I was using 20K radiums but decided to try the new EVC bulbs out. I have had good results using the mentioned combo. Even before starting the Zeo.
              I had 10K XM's on my lps and softie tank, and they were yellow. I think they also switched spectrum on me and caused a major algae problem. The bulbs were only 6 months old. I now have the 14K EVC bulbs on there. And very pleased with the colors I'm seeing. But thanks to the XM bulbs I may now have to pull the rock and cook it to get rid of all the algae in there. I'll never use those bulbs again. JMO.

Comment

Thnx. Fonda for bringing up a point that many of us overlook, which is bulb spectrum shifts. Unforunately many of these cheaper MH's apparently do shift & some rather quickly, resulting in more headaches than the cost-savings initially, with coral color fade, nusiance algae growth, etc. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

i wouldnt consider my XM yellow. its very white (and bright). maybe its my eyes

Comment

I switched from ushio 10k 250watt to BLV 250 watt 10k excelent bulb its a bit bluer than ushio althoug i think it has the same parent company making them both dunno

Comment

Working...
                    X