Lighting recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting recommendations

As most of you already know, I am taking an unfortunate event as an excuse to spend some money and do some equipment upgrades on the tank. Currently I am running a 175 with an ESV 14K bulb and an Aquamedic Ocean Light 250 HQI with I believe a 20K AB bulb.

I am just not happy with this. I have two of the Ocean Lights, but the ballast went on one of them and I am afraid that the one that is running now might go. And while what I have is nice, I think I can do better. The one thing I am going to do is hook up my 2x96 PC (either 50/50s or actinics - not sure yet) to come on before the Halides and to shut off after.

This is a frag tank people - not show, so it doesn't have to look pretty, but it does have to promote growth and good coloration. Tank is 48" long, 24" wide, and 12" deep (but using egg create to raise the corals closer to the light). I am thinking 2 RO3's with 2 Blue Wave 3 ballasts (250 HQI) - not sure what bulbs. But, I also want to hear what you guys would do.
    --Matt

If it's a frag tank I'd go with 10,000K bulbs, perhaps AB.

For the PC I would not use actinics if it's not a show tank, unless you need to enhance colors for picture taking.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Orion, I knew I could count on you to help spend my money :lol:

the tank is in the basement and is completely dark with the lights off. I don't like the idea of going from pitch black to blasting MHs - which is why I am going to hook up the PCs
      --Matt

Comment

Glad to help

Then I'd opt for 50/50's over actinics, more output
        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

ROIIIs are never a bad choice. 10k bulbs like the AB or Ushio, maybe the XM or EVC.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

A certain member here has gotten me interested in some 400 watters - any thoughts on these?
            --Matt

Comment

Originally posted by tonkadawg
              A certain member here has gotten me interested in some 400 watters - any thoughts on these?
              On a 12" tank? I don't think that's necessary.

Comment

yeah that is my concern too - just a bit over kill...
                --Matt

Comment

so let me ask this, what would be the pros and cons of going with a single dual type ballast versus two single type ballasts?

pros for the single:
                  if one goes, I am not completely screwed
                  looks like it would offer a more flexible set up

pros for the dual:
                  less equipment
                  --Matt

Comment

Personally I use dual ballasts. It's really just two ballasts in one housing though so technically it makes no difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X