Calling 1000 watters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling 1000 watters

As some of you know I have a 40" tall tank, and I am not happy with growth and coloration of acros in the lower part of the tank. I was going to keep LPS in the lower part and SPS in the upper part but have now decided that SPS top to bottom is what I want

I now have 4 x 400w MH and have been thinking about, rather than adding more bulbs, replacing two of the existing 400w bulbs with 1000w bulbs.

Any 1000w users here? (Bob?) Is this the way to go? Any drawbacks vs adding more 400 watt bulbs?
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

1000W bulbs are pretty cool. I have never used them but i've seen them on a tank here and it was nice. He used 20K but they were so bright you would have never known it.

Comment

Bobs tank looked Killer with the 1000 watters on it. I am sure he will chime in

Comment

Scott, that tank is history as are the 1000W'ers--they light does best with lumenarc3's reflectorsBob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

told you he would chime in .. Yeah they were cool for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by scottw
            told you he would chime in ..
            Do you think he'll chime in with more info?
            400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Timon, I do I've found that as I've gone deeper into ZEOvit with ultra-low-nutrients, I've had to continue to raise the 1000W'ers farther from the water surface to prevent photo-excess[increasing light penetration]Timon, I believe you will be happier with 400's unless the water depth exceeds 32". Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks Bob, my water depth is 40", I find that below about 27" the growth is not very good. The remaining 13" might not seem like a big deal but it's where I have the most surface area to place corals.

I'd add more 400 watters but I don't really have space for the extra reflectors

Comment

Timon, you have any pics of your setup now? I want to see how the radiums and the blv 10k blend in...

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

why such a tall tank bro?

Comment

Jeff, here's a pic of the tank with all the bulbs running but you can't really see what it really looks like from a picture, basically it creates a white light with no yellow and very good coral coloration. Don't mind the green rocks, that's just algae because this tank was only 2.5 months old when I took this pic

http://photobucket.com/albums/y95/or...SC_0028111.jpg

To mix bulb colors well it's best to use dual bulb reflectors. I'm thinking about getting the Growzilla reflectors when I upgrade the lighting:

http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmradiantgrowzilla.htm
                      Last edited by Orion76; 06-22-2005, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottw
                        why such a tall tank bro?
                        If you'd be standing in front of it you'd be saying "why would anyone not get such a tall tank?"

Comment

i think what Bob says is right about using Zeo longer and itll change
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

I am running some 1000 watters, I will say they are lot hotter, I use 20k radiums. They are at best 15k. I use them in a cool sun reflector with 6" duct work that pulls air in from the out side and cools the bulbs and then takes it back out side.

The blubs are a little hard to get your hand on sometimes so have a back up so you won't be with out light for weeks.

Comment

Thanks TLR I am looking at running 1000W 14K Hamilton bulbs for 6 hours with 1000W 10K Hamilton bulbs for an hour a day for peak intensity.

Any experience with these bulbs?

The reflectors I ordered have ventilation holes for duct work and I'm hooking it up to a big fan. Over here it's 95 degrees on a cool day so heat is a real concern

Comment

Working...
                              X