250 w de ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 w de ?

I'm replacing my bulbs in my fixture. Need a good bulb in the 12 to 15 k range for more blue light. Is there a great bulbe with good coral groth, good par, and good intensity? I also have 4, 24 inch blue vho bulbs that are not making a differnce.

I like my hamilton 14ks although i may try the pheonix 14k..

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I like the Phoenix, except on the Ice Cap ballast. Seems to be considerably dimmer. On the SLS Mag's the bulb is great. Much brighter than the hamilton. Sanjay's spectral plot confirms this.

Phoenix on Ice Cap= 73 PPFD
      On M80= 88 PPFD

HTH
      CAReefer
      265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

This is my first hand experience with 250w DE bulbs and the M80 ballast. Goes from Yellow to Blue
        XM 10k, AB 10k, Ushio 10k, BLV 10k/Giesemann 13k, Giesemann 14.5k, Hammy 14k, XM 15k (dim), Phoenix/AC 14k, the plethora of other 15 and 20k bulbs are blue and dim.

The XM 15k actually has a really nice look IMO, but is dim visually and "by the numbers".

If you want something "blue" get the Phoenix 14k. Otherwise, use the Ushio with VHO actinics.
        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
        BK400ext
        RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
        MRC kalkmixer
        IKS

Comment

I went from the Phoenix 14k to BLV 10k and the overlook is visually much brighter. A bit yellow in the outlook but was effectively overcomed by running 2x58w Actinic FL. Going to add 4 more tubes of 80w T5s running both Actinics and 20kk to hopefullly give me a much bluer but bright look.
          Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

I agree with moonpod except the hamilton's have more blue for me than the AC/pheonix (pfo hqi ballast) and the Ushio's are more yellow than the AB's
            Last edited by OUinLA; 06-19-2005, 11:59 PM.

Comment

On the note of the hammy 14k, actually that's one of my "issues" with them is that they don't seem real consistent. Soft white sometimes, majorly 20k other times.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

Working...
              X