Underwater Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwater Lighting

I have a crazy idea for a crazy aquascaped tank... does anyone know of a true light that will help corals grow under water? This light will be submersed in the water and most likely under rock. Corals that need minimal light can be placed in this area. No light from above will penetrate into this area. I know they sell swimming pool, fountain, or pond lighting.. but are they effective in keeping corals alive?

My guess is that anything strong enough to provide any PAR will also heat the water.

Interesting idea though, I am sure some weak lights could be used for aesthetic purposes
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

BTW I think they often use metal halide bulbs in pools, I think that's what they make 14K bulbs for
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Thats a sweet idea! I would love to see something like this done!

Comment

Not what I was looking for.. but still a sweet idea!

Comment

Woah, if you wre near my yatch, you should have just stopped in =).

Comment

Originally posted by Orion76
              BTW I think they often use metal halide bulbs in pools, I think that's what they make 14K bulbs for

The only problem with this is that its not for marine and may cause the housing to corrode over time in a fish tank.

Comment

I know many people here in SoCal have converted the pools into saltwater pools. It's the hip thing to do right now so I would be they have housing for this.

Comment

Edward, there's also the consideration that type of light focus will fuel reefscape algae growth. Bob
                  "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob.... im actually talking about 30w and MAYBE 50w... nothing too strong. And it would definitely be in the dark blue Kelvin area. Just looking for something that will light up a dark area such as a cave. Fish will still be able to swim under and around this area. Oh wait a second.. I know what you mean.. coralline algae would encrust around it.. I guess if you can clean it under water, it should be ok.

Comment

what about using some LED's ? not much heat and you can make them waterproof by sealing them in epoxy..

not that much useful light but if you only want it to luminate a cave then it might work, and they probably wouldn't grow coraline.. some of the blue LED's would look nice.

rich.

Comment

rich, they sell underwater LED lights.. I was looking at a website earlier after doing some research. Need to find it again.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10950...ter_Light.html

Comment

Looks kinda similar to the Japanese LED aquarium lamps

Comment

here's an underwater LED aquarium light:

http://www.otominnovations.com/aquarium_lighting.html

Comment

Nice find Orion. Only 5w's too

Comment

Working...
                              X