Just replaced AC with Phoenix 14K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just replaced AC with Phoenix 14K

Just replaced my Aqua Connect 14K bulb 250w DE ($120) with a Phoenix 14K ($60) and they look identical. It doesnt even look like I switched to the Phoenix. Even at the first break in period I was expecting the bulb to be more blue and its not. This definitely confirms what people have researched all along about AC being identical to Phoenix.

I also replaced my DE with the phoenix, However, I took out older BLV 10k and noticed much more blue, but brighter than the SE Hammy's. So now my set up is 5 250 watt DEs.
    Phoenix, Ushio, Phoenix, Ushio, Phoenix plus 160 watts Actinic VHO. Love the color of the Phoenix with the Ushios.
    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Nice CAReefer! Do you think its too blue with 3 of them on the outside? Do you think it would look better if it was the other way around and had 3 10k's with 2 14K's in the middle 2? What ballast and pendants are you using?

Comment

Not at all too blue. The Ushio's are pretty yellow in my mind/eye. I really like the BLV's but no one in CA has them right now, and I hate waiting 7 days to get things from back east, so I went with the Ushios. The Phoenix are on SLS mag/HQI ballasts in RO III pendants, the Ushios are on IceCap HQI ballasts in the PFO mini's. I am hoping to replace the hole shebang with 3 400watters in the Diamond Lumenarcs sometime in the summer.

CAReefer
        265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Interesting. CAreefer you sure your water isn't yellow? DE Ushio's are relatively white IME. No different than BLVs to my eye. Much better than ABs. That being said, the Ushio Phoenix combo IS very nice.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Everything seems yellow to me with this 1/2" glass. I really should've gotten starfire. Huge difference in color rendition between 1/2" and the 3/8" I had on my old 75. And NO, my water is NOT yellow. lol....

CAReefer

Comment

starphire or acrylic baby. Can't avoid it once you crest about the 75g or so.
              10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
              BK400ext
              RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
              MRC kalkmixer
              IKS

Comment

I'm a little too careless to even attempt an acrylic tank. I even managed to scratch my 75 glass tank.

Comment

Working...
                X