Lighting dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting dilemma

Hi, I have a 40 gallon(48x15 or so x 15 or so) with a 8" deep sandbed on the left, sloping to a 4.5" deep sandbed, sloaping even more to a 3" sand bed on the right. Anyways, right now I have dual 55/65w pc's along the length of the tank(not side by side) Anyways, I was thinking about replacing them(currently both atentics, I realize I can never keep corals with atentics only) with 92) 50/50 half 10k half atentic bulbs. (Would that be enough for polyps and softies???)

OR...taking the whole super ugly diy system off and using a single 70w 10k DE metal halight bulb.

If I put this fixture(sold at hellolights) 2 feet above the aquarim, would it have enough intensity to keep at least softies and polpys???(For reasons I dont want to explain, I can only use one 70w bulb).

Would that work??? Sounds fun, total cost of the fixture is $240 though

Would it work? Thanks
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

you need to take one thing at a time, you want to do too many things, take your time and do it right.

also i think that would work keeping polyps and softies.

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

A softie tank will do fine with PC lighting.
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

if you say so I wont get the MH thing, the problem is that the new Imitation Tunze Wavebox thing I built...the pvc goes over the side of the aquarium and the fixture cant rest on both edges of the tank like it used to. Thats why I just want a simple hanging fixture. I am thinking of somehow installing the super ugly white striplight fixture whith the pc's in it inside of some rectangular wooden fixture and hang all of that above the aquarium...but it would be pretty heavy. I like the 70w MH idea but its expensive.
        Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

You should be able to find a 70w MH pendant for much cheaper than $240? Sounds expensive!
          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Working...
          X