Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Hamilton 14,000k DE bulbs like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Hamilton 14,000k DE bulbs like?

I was thinking of getting some Hamilton 14,000k DE MH bulbs while they are on special, anybody have an opinion on these? All my systems are 150 watt.
    How would they compare with Ushio and Aqualine?
    Also, do 14,000k bulbs last as long as 10,000k ones?

I noticed less growth when I went from 10k to 14k hamilton. I am running the 175w SE though. It does have a nice color too it.

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timsVw
      I noticed less growth when I went from 10k to 14k hamilton. I am running the 175w SE though. It does have a nice color too it.
      That doesn't surprise me, a 14kK bulb has only half the PAR of a 10kK bulb.
      They sure look a hell of a lot better though
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Had good luck with the Hamilton 14000K's. Just switched to 20000K's to try them.

Comment

The Hammy 14k is a "soft white" look. It has output probably near the BLV 10k, comparable to say the Phoenix/Aquaconnect, but probably 20% or so behind the Aqualine, which of course is much yellower. The AB "10k" 250w DE has a lot of output. Only the much yellower XDE and EVC "10ks" have more output to my knowledge. The thing about the Hammy is that it just lacks the "pizzazz" IMO/E of the Phoenix, or the blaring visual brightness of a "10k" bulb.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Thanks, very informative. Well they are pretty cheap at custom aquatics right now, so may pick some up and try them. Perhaps I'll alternate them with 10,000 k's.

Comment

I just replaced my 14KK Hamiltons with the 15KK XDE lamps and I love them. The color and brightness are close to a blueish 10KK lamp IMO. I loved the color of the 14KK, but coral growth almost stopped, I couldn't stand it. The corals look almost as colorful as with the 14KK, but my tank is significantly brighter. Hopefully my next purchase will be some fragging clippers!!!

Regards,
              Dr. Joe

Comment

Dr. Joe, let me welcome you to ZEOvit.com, it's good to have you here Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Dr. Joe, you say growth almost stopped, that's a concern now that I've ordered them!
                  Are you talking about double ended or single ended?

Comment

I ran the hammy 250w DE 14's for about a year and had decent growth from most corals. I just recently went to Phoenix 14's and they are just a touch brighter than the hams were. Side by side on the same ballast and same pendant you could really not even tell a difference.
                    Dustin

"Water is the driving force of all nature"
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Wasp,

Do not be overly concerned, if your water parameters are right, the 14k's will give you good color and growth, at least that is what I have experienced...........

John
                      IF IT IS WORTH DOING, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT..........

Comment

any1 have pics of them running ?
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Wasp,
                          I am using DE bulbs. My growth with the 14KK Hamiltons has been significantly less than with my prior 10KK bulbs. In fact, I can visually tell when I changed bulbs as the diameter of some of the coral branches is less. My slimer has branches that are approx. 8mm in diameter, and then suddenly change to 5mm diameter. Visually, it looks as if all the branches were fragged, and regrew. On the plus side, the 14KK color was outstanding for my taste. I am currently using the 15KK XDE bulbs, which look like a cross between 10KK and 14KK, less blue but seemingly more intensity. I am hoping for increased growth.
                          HTH,
                          Regards,
                          Dr. Joe

Comment

I'm supposed to get some of the 15k XMs to play with. I will line 'em up in my tank left to right Ushio, 15k XM, Phoenix and post a pix after burn in.
                            10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                            BK400ext
                            RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
                            MRC kalkmixer
                            IKS

Comment

Thanks. Very useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X