Vho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vho

I have never used vho before so I don't know what bulbs I would need. My tank is only 20 inches wide so I am limited. Can I use a T8 bulb for VHO or does it have to be a T12 bulb? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

-Tim

Most VHO bulbs sold for the hobby are T12's. I don't know if anyone makes T8 VHO bulbs in the correct spectrum.

If you are starting from scratch, a better option in most cases are T5's. The initial setup is a little more expensive, but you will make up for it quickly in lower energy usage and longer bulb life. Bulb for bulb, the T5's are at least as bright as VHO's when normally driven and using the individual reflectors. If you overdrive them with an Icecap ballast, the brightness is mind boggling.

The only down side to the T5's is that the actinic bulbs are not nearly as good as the standard URI VHO Super actinics. In fact, I just changed my setup to run T5's AND VHO's to supplement my halides, and the combination is working out very well.

Comment

I just added t5 blue plus with vho actinic also using an ic660.. Love the look of this combination with my mh's... Here is the tank lite by 2 46" vho actinic and 2 54 watt blue plus t5 without MH on...

Comment

looking good bro
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Damn Jeff, nice gallery! your tank is looking great!

Comment

Ewan, TY.. I will be taking more sweet pics tonight.. Got a new toy for the camera from Madison today so I can take some under water top down pics.. Time for the true colors to come out.. I will be posting pics either tomorrow or thursday....

Peace, Jeff

Comment

can I get a 20" t5 bulb ?

-Tim

Comment

As far as I know the 24 watt is 22" long..I do not think they have anything shorter either...

http://reefgeek.com/products/categor...uorescent.html

Comment

So I guess my only option is PC lighting with my hallide.

-Tim

Comment

Tim, the PC actinic's are fine. They do run a little warmer than VHO, but you're hit your corals with a missing light spectrum that will allow them to floresence & color more so than before Bob
                    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Pc'S gives out NO PAR AT ALL
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

ok so if I can't go vho, what is everyones thoughts on what I should do. Stay with just on 175 and go from 14k to 10k. or upgrade to two 175's and do a 10k xm and a 20k xm. Or do 1 250 10k XM, or do 175 10k and pc atinic.

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X