Differences in 20k MH bulbs???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in 20k MH bulbs???????

Hi, I am currently running 250w SE XM10k's over my 75 gallon, 2 of them, along with 2 110w atentic VHO lamps.
    IMO, it is too yellow for my taste. SO, next year, I am going to switch to 20k XM's and still keep the VHO's atentic. This may be blue indeed, but I like blue, and I like pretty acro's.

Now for something else. I used to have 175w SE 20k's and they sure didnt seem very blue. They were hamiltons. I know that there is always different blue's or whatever by which company makes the bulbs, but is there a difference in how blue a 175w 20k compared to a 250w 20k? What about a 250w 20k compared to a 400w 20k? We are talking about single ended bulbs here.

And, is there a particular 250w SE 20k bulb that some people consider "the bluest".

Thanks
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

i have the xm 20k and to me its a nice blue not blue blue i think my coralvie 14k were more blue i think your nuts too i hae 10k xm'x also and think its a perfect white
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Bleh! If I ran my10k's alone without the atentics, my tank would look horrible! So I am boing for 20k's because I read on more than one internet site that 20k's with atentics is best for keeping colors so that is what I am going with.

I wonder....how blue is the Coralvue 20k???
      Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

iits not keeping any color at all all it is doin is falsifying the color because when you have regular light on it that is the true color my corals colors are amazing and i use no actinics just 10k xm's
        Nick
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Do you use atentic vho's, t5,s or PC's???

Comment

NO just MH i use my 20k as a dusk and dawn simulater
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Adam, you may not have burned your bulbs in it seems. I've seen quite a few XM 10Ks and they are usually pretty white.

Remember, 20K is not going to give you nearly as much growth as a 10K bulb, you're getting color, but losing growth.

Look on RC, under the lighting forum, they have a sticky with all the various bulbs and the colors so you can look around and determine who has the best PAR and color.

Comment

the only color your getting out of 20k is how the blue from the bulb looks on the actual color of the coral
                Nick
                Nick
                180G SPS Mainly
                10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                Calcium Reactor
                3 Tunze 6105's
                Profilux Controller
                ATB Return w/ wavysea
                ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Yup. I definitely don't like the blue look of a 20K tank with Actinics, it hurts your eyes.

A 10K or a 14K with a nice blend of 20K is perfect. You can still see the true colors of the coral too.

EVC 10Ks are some nice white bulbs, their 20K is supposed to be nice as well.

Comment

i heard the same of the 10k's
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Adam,10k XM's should have a crisp white color to them.I run mine without atinics.Try this unscrew the bulbs and put them back in with the nipple up or as close to up as you can get.It sounds weird but it works

Comment

yes that is very true nipple up
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

omg........
                          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

take it u never knew that lol
                            Nick
                            Nick
                            180G SPS Mainly
                            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                            Calcium Reactor
                            3 Tunze 6105's
                            Profilux Controller
                            ATB Return w/ wavysea
                            ATB M External Skimmer